Training Subsidy Program (TSP)

What is the TSP?

The Training Subsidy Program (TSP) reimburses Professional and Emerging Artist members for the costs of physical dance training. Ongoing training and professional development are a crucial part of a dance career. Regular physical conditioning maintains your body as an instrument, relevant opportunities for artistic development engage your mind as an interpreter and creator, and on-going, consistent technical training keeps your technique current. These activities position you as an active and employable member of the professional community.

How does it work?

Professional and Emerging Artists members may claim 60% of their training costs up to $325 per membership year for training that takes place in Canada. In 2016-17, CADA-ON has received $37,000 in funding from the Canada Council of the Arts for the program. Therefore, the 2016-17 TSP has a total disbursal cap of $37,000, or $12,333 per disbursal period for all members. You can read our full Disbursal Policy here.


What costs can I claim on the TSP?

- Dance technique classes (drop-in or class cards)
- Physical conditioning (fitness club memberships, Pilates, yoga, etc.)
- Workshops, master classes and intensives


The minimum claim amount per period is $25.00

The TSP is not for training to prepare for a parallel career such as teacher training programs - for that purpose visit the Dancer Transition Resource Centre.



There are 3 claim periods (disbursal periods) for 2016-2017


 Claim Training DatesDeadline 
 1 June 1 - September 30 October 1
 2 October 1 - February 28 March 1
 3 March 1 - May 31 June 1


How to make a claim

If you are a member, log in to your account on the CADA-ON website. You can find the TSP Form under the "Members Only" section. You will find detailed instructions on the Claim Form as to how to make a TSP claim. PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. Click here.




Georgia Skinner
Photo by Cylla vonTiedemann

Frequently Asked Questions about the Training Subsidy Program: 


What types of training are eligible for the TSP? 

Any physical training that you do to condition your body to be "performance ready" is eligible. This includes technique classes, gym memberships, yoga/pilates classes, workshops, and any other physical training you may engage in. 


What is the annual cap of the program? 

Professional and Emerging Artists members can claim training up to a maximum of $325 per membership year (June 1st to May 31st of the following year). 


I am required to sing for an upcoming dance performance. Is training for this performance eligible for the Training Subsidy Program? 

No. Only physical training is currently covered in our TSP program. Any other training such as singing or acting is not currently eligible for reimbursement. However, stay tuned for upcoming changes to this policy. CADA-ON is currently reviewing eligible training for project specific cases. 


I am also claiming my training costs on my income tax return. Can I also claim these costs through the Training Subsidy Program? 

The answer is yes, but the execution is a bit tricky. If you send in training receipts for reimbursement in our TSP program (which is 60%), you can still claim the remaining amount (40%) on your income tax. 


For example: A class you took cost $25. You receive $15 dollars back (60%) from CADA-ON's TSP program. You can then claim $10 (the remaining 40%) on your income taxes. 


Photocopied receipts are acceptable to submit for the TSP. 


I missed the deadline, can I still submit for the TSP?

Receipts must be submitted by the appropriate deadline for training that took place within that TSP period. For example, training that took place between June 1st and September 30th can be submitted for the October 1st deadline. If you forgot to submit receipts during that period, hang on to them as we occasionally open up the final TSP deadline of the membership year (June 1st) for forgotten or misplaced receipts from the year. 


I've already reached my cap for the TSP this year, should I still submit them?

Yes please! We track the actual totals of artist spending and use it in our grant applications to advocate for a higher TSP cap with our funders.



CADA-ON gratefully acknowledges the generous support of:

  

 



CADA-ON would like to thank the following
 Local Businesses and Services:









    



 © 2017 Canadian Alliance of Dance Artists, Ontario Chapter (CADA-ON).

CADA-ON, 476 Parliament Street, 2nd Floor | Toronto, ON M4X 1P2 | Phone: (416) 657 2276

Email: office@cada-on.ca | Website: www.cada-on.ca

    



Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software